Every few years our extended family gathers in a sunny coastal vacation destination to soak up the sun, fun, food and plenty of humidity. A favorite activity during these reunion weeks is a “Christmas in July” gift exchange. Everyone anonymously wraps a new or used item (from the local thrift stores) valued around $10, then each family member takes a turn picking a gift or stealing one that has already been opened. Some gifts are very useful, others clever, and some devilishly funny like this year’s authentic mink stole – four legs, beady eyes and all. While we may never know the original value (or age) of this silky stuffed creature, the recipient’s reaction upon opening the gift was absolutely priceless.
Which brings me to my point (thank you for patiently waiting) about the value of direct mail marketing. Much like opening Christmas gifts in the middle of the summer, direct mail promotions are very highly received, even in this overwhelmingly digital age. These statistics from a report by smallbusinesstrends.com affirm this:
- The greatest number, 54 percent, of consumers surveyed said they want to receive mail from brands they’re interested in.
- 56 percent of customers find print marketing to be the most trustworthy type of marketing.
- 70 percent of Americans say mail is more personal than the internet.
- 62 percent of consumers who responded to direct mail in the past three months made a purchase.
- 56 percent of consumers who responded to direct mail went online or visited the physical store.
- 80-90 percent of direct mail gets opened, while only 20-30 percent of email gets opened on a good day.
- 70 percent of consumers preferred traditional mail for receiving unsolicited offers from companies.
- U.S. advertisers spend $167 per person on direct mail to earn $2,095 worth of goods sold; a 1,300 percent return.
One of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to create valuable Christmas in July experiences year-round is PSMailers self-seal systems. With a wide variety of self-seal document styles and fold patterns available, PSMailers documents easily bring marketing messages directly to consumers – from time-sensitive promotions and new product introductions to special announcements or other targeted marketing messages, in small, medium or high-volume quantities.
So for businesses that want an 80-90 percent direct mail open rate (that doesn’t include a stuffed minx upon opening), PSMailers are the gift that keeps on giving, check it out: http://www.psmailers.com/documents/focus-on
Merry Christmas in July from yours truly,